American frame houses have a rather long and rich history. It dates back to the 17th century. Now it is believed that the basis of such buildings is always made in a factory, in fact, it was not so before. Only in 1900, such buildings were put on stream, they have gained popularity and most Americans began to choose for themselves this solution. And until then, housing was made by individual types, already on the spot sawing out all the elements. The consumption of construction material was huge, but the reliability of the finished result was questionable, and the time such a process took just a huge amount.
Now modern architecture of this type pleases people with very fast installation time and a high level of reliability. Factory-produced wooden structures almost completely insure against possible architectural errors – says Kirill Yurovskiy.
American frame technology
If you look closely at the main features of the buildings, they reek of something British. This is understandable, because at the time of the birth of the style trend in the U.S. just a large part of the population were subjects of the British Crown: natives of England, and Wales, and Ireland. It was they who brought their British luster. There are distinctly Tudor and Victorian echoes. There is also a small touch of German and Spanish architecture. And the farther away from the busy city streets, the more the houses begin to resemble the country style.
Separately, we would like to mention that as soon as the first conquistadors came through, there were very few settlers, and the territory in front of them stretched just huge. That is why no one hesitated to build the most spacious dwelling for themselves. And why worry if there was enough room for everyone.
You may notice that the modern American frame house is a wide dwelling that tends to sprawl out in different directions, not up. Two stories (or three in the most extreme case) is usually an overkill, no one builds higher.
The features of structures in this style are easily distinguished even by a layman’s eye. It all lies on the surface. They are:
- Shape. The method of complete symmetry is used, it is rare to find a single pitched roof or anything else that disturbs the harmony. Often the foundation is quite low, and the structure itself, as already mentioned, rarely tends upward;
- Surrounding Landscape. The lawn is the calling card of the destination, without it no plot can be imagined. Often choose to divide it into several separate zones with a clear geometric gradation and smooth lines. These can be areas for barbecues, playgrounds, fields to accommodate a trampoline. In many regions, a swimming pool is very popular;
- Additional elements. Terrace or porch must be present. And it is very spacious, with a rocking chair, or even stretched between the support and the wall hammock. And also there is always a large garage – an additional attachment that has a direct link with the central building;
- Exterior. More often than not, wood and siding are used as trim materials. But sometimes there are individuals who prefer brick or even natural stone. In addition, often the facade is framed by clear lines, sometimes even sharp edges without any smooth transitions, exclusively in light colors. Pastel shades are also in fashion. This is why “cottage red” becomes such an easily remembered reference point in foreign films. After all, it’s just a rarity;
- There must be a lot of windows. For some customers, this seems even redundant. And most often, the size of the window is very decent, and the shape is closer to the arches. This echoes the influence of the Spanish school of architecture;
- Entrances. There are usually two of them. The front and back, which leads to the site, to play areas, pools, lawns, flower beds and flower gardens.
American frame house construction technology implies space. This is the main basis, which is always respected. And even if the building is one-story, each member of the family should have its own room of comfortable size for life. Americans are very appreciative of their freedom and do not like to be in small rooms.
The distinctive features include the following points:
- On the first floor is a hallway, usually not the largest. But the kitchen, which is located nearby, is always of a decent size, as is the living room. Often architects combine these two zones by creating a small obstacle in the form of a bar. This way they manage to free up a lot of space, and the freshly baked cake can easily be brought right to the guests. Also here you can find a bathroom and toilet, a gym, workrooms and workshops;
- Given how to build a frame house in America, it is safe to say that on the second floor will be only bedrooms and private rooms. And the second bathroom will be located there, too. But otherwise, they are just bedrooms. Even if there are more than family members. This, by the way, is not so rare;
- Garage. At the same time it can be a workshop. From this room has access to the boiler room, as well as in the laundry room, if there is any. The garage is built for the number of personal vehicles. Usually for two to three parking spaces. Leaving cars in the street, albeit on their own private property, is not accepted;
- Veranda. This large area is furnished with various pieces of furniture for recreation. Sometimes there are sun loungers and umbrellas. And in some projects there is not only a central exit to the veranda, but also from some other rooms. For example, from the study.
Materials for the facade
The construction of frame houses in the United States involves several different, but roughly similar in terms of the level of popularity of approaches to the construction of facades.
Panelized. With the help of several boards of plywood or chip-blocks, which are attached to a common panel, the entire exterior space is closed;
Modular. A similar type, but in this case, almost the entire facade consists of several large modules that are already assembled in the factory. Construction is several times faster, but the price range increases;
Wood blocks. Probably the most expensive material. But it also looks quite impressive. The natural beauty of painted luxury wood will be able to impress your friends.
U.S. Style in the interior
The interior decoration is characterized by an even, soft color scheme. Here, color accents like red or bright blue are immediately diluted with a counterbalance, such as a mass of beige or brown. More or less bright is country, however, here there will be no monotony anymore. Rather, you will be met with a variety of patterned wallpaper, according to all the canons of rustic Provence.
It was in the states that the fashion to unite the space appeared. That’s why you won’t usually find partitions in buildings where you’re used to. Only the bedrooms are strictly separated. This is where Americans value personal space. The rest of the rooms can flow intricately into each other. And also the American technology of frame construction often means that there is no hallway as such. Behind the door is the living room.
Standard designs will tell you exactly what your project will be like.
Living Room. Furniture is usually located along the perimeter, sometimes closer to the center, but never set up against the walls. If you want to show spaciousness, the pieces of furniture should be away from the walls. In the pursuit of coziness, furniture with upholstered furniture is chosen, and a fireplace is installed. All kinds of modern appliances are also installed here. A large plasma screen, as an option;
Kitchen. American construction of frame houses implies spacious kitchens. Decorations are created on the basis of furniture, and there is much more furniture than ceramics. At the same time, the appliances are tried to be built into the surfaces, the bar counter, garnish, cabinets, so as not to clutter the area;
Bedroom. Light colors are a must, the bed is massive, natural wood. High rise, large legs or no legs. Furniture to a minimum, except for the bed only a dresser and a coffee table;
Bathroom. It is customary to incorporate the sink into the table, as well as to use two, located next to each other. In the bathroom there is a bathtub and a shower. Showers are not in fashion, the leading position now takes a full shower with glass walls.
The construction itself is quite light. After all, the basis is not bricks or even gas blocks, but lightweight wood. Therefore, it is absolutely impractical to put a reinforced foundation. Thin strip foundation is quite normal, even a solid slab will do. The total depth is 2-2.5 meters. Naturally, the choice ultimately depends on the results of geological studies. It is worth knowing that, unlike in the U.S., we have this type of cottages are placed on piles. They can easily withstand the necessary weight, and can be located in an area with a complex landscape. If there are natural obstacles, piles are an ideal solution. And frame houses on American technology are installed on them almost in a third of all cases.
The speed of assembly depends directly on how well the project was designed. The more details and fewer flaws in the calculations, the faster the production will assemble the structure. It is made of treated boards with a thickness of 50 mm. The outer sheathing is made on site with special boards. All planned communication lines are inside the structure. Accordingly, their laying must be clearly marked on the initial plan. Otherwise, the correct production will be under great question.
With external finishing all variety rests, as it happens, in the wallet. A lot of opportunities, siding, panels, and natural stone.
Given the aggressive external environment in winter and autumn, it is worth taking care of protection from moisture and cold. After all, American technology is designed for a slightly different climate.
As for the interior decoration, there are two options. The first – wood, any lumber. The second – plasterboard. This is the basis for any further coating, painting, wallpaper or plaster.